ivy league








I write a lot about New York and how much we love it there... and we do, but I realized that I also need to shed a little light and love on our own backyard: Jersey. Now I know most of you think of shootings and the mob and industrial smoky billowing factories when you hear "New Jersey" (I know I did prior to moving here), but I cannot stress enough how that is SO not the case with this state. Of course Newark is a lot like I have just described, but no one in their right mind spends time in Newark, so it almost doesn't even count.

This state is filled with tons of trees, gardens and a large amount of parks---so many I cannot believe actually.

My most recent tourist trip was to the Princeton area of the State, as in Princeton University--one of the eight Ivy League Universities in the US. Its about 40 miles to the south of us and a nice casual drive through what I can best describe as "the country" with horse pastures, barns and many other things you do not expect to see in Jersey.

As I approached the borough of Princeton I was easily impressed. The arching campus buildings with stain glass windows and gargoyles are gorgeous and in excellent condition for one of the oldest Universities in the nation.

I love college towns--and Princeton reminded me of the UW area, a town within a city.
I had flashbacks as I walked onto campus and felt a bit odd... First of all, i still get slow stomach grumblings when I get onto a college campus. I undoubtedly now will have another occurrence of my reoccurring dream about a paper being late or me missing a midterm. It always happens. However, the 80 degree weather, the blooming cherry trees and the beautiful architecture made those feelings vanish :-)

Tons of students were walking around campus, visiting or hurrying somewhere. I am sure its just my imagination, but some of the looks I got made me feel that it was obvious that I was a graduate of "just a state university" and I swear one guy looking especially smart was just waiting to quiz me on the square root of 745 divided by 7.3...
The pressure. State Universities do not prepare one for this. :-)

One street off campus is Nassau Street full of shops, bookstores, cafes and restaurants.
Two blocks from campus is the Princeton Cemetery erected in 1757. Being new to the East Coast these old dates still amaze me. I visited this cemetery mainly for its most famous "person"--- Grover Cleavland, former Pres of the US, but there are other notable souls buried here such as Aaron Burr (remember the dual with Alexander Hamilton) and the famous William H Hahn, which most of you may not know by name, but you may have heard of his tombstone inscription that is rather famous: 'I told you I was sick'.

It was a great visit and Tom was excited to hear all about it when I got home (and I know secretly happy that I didn't make him come with). :-)
Enjoy the pics of the campus and such.

0 comments: